New Facility Update
Harrison Hills City Schools New PK-12
• Installing Concrete Footings in Area C: Administrative Offices
• Installing Masonry Footings in Area D: Gym and Locker Rooms
• Installing Foundation Insulation and Backfill in Area E: Cafeterias, Kitchen, and Mechanical Rooms
• Installing Site Lighting Pole Bases and Conduit
• Installing Electrical Conduit in the Area E Main Electrical Room
• Mrs. Snider attended the Belmont Harrison Career Center's Ohio Special Education review meeting.
• The superintendent attended an IEP meeting at Harrison board of DD.
• Mrs. Snider attended the Cross Country Banquet that was held at the Cadiz EMIS center.
• Mr. Eddy and Mrs. Harding worked with Ohio School Plan for final information for filing of insurance claim concerning a lightning strike at 2 of our locations over the summer.
• The fiscal department finalized all numbers for the closing of the MIECHV federal grant (Help Me Grow) for fiscal year 2017.
• The treasurer provided information for the annual update to the district’s Official Statement related to the school bonds.
• Mr. Eddy completed Harrison Hills Erate Forms 486 Requesting $70,000 discounts on Internet and Phone service for the 2017-2018 School Year.
• Mr. Eddy worked with Hylant adjuster to complete insurance claim for lighting damaged equipment.
• Thank you to the Larry Ludwig and the Cadiz Street Department on their assistance moving brick samples to the School Site as Hammond will be constructing wall mock ups.
• Mr. Ripley and Mr. Hibbs held the Winter Trip Meeting at the district office this past Friday.
• Mr. Ripley received word that Harrison Hills has received a grant to support bike racks at our new facility through the Gulfport Energy Fund and the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio.
Harrison Central Jr/Sr High
• Marching Band Concert
• FFA attended National Convention in Indianapolis.
• Senior football players and cheerleaders celebrated a win over Buckeye Local.
• Congratulations to Jasmine Arnold for advancing to the State Cross Country Meet! She placed 15th out of 153 runners with a time of 19:36.
• Ms. Doren accompanied 45 juniors to a college fair at Oglebay. The fair was sponsored by the Wheeling Chamber of Commerce and over 50 college stations were available for juniors to visit.
• Dan Milleson and Allison Anderson talked to seniors about making connections with the Harrison Central Alumni Association.
• Senior cross country runners Justin Hartley and Joyce Barr are pictured with Coach Drapp during the cross country banquet that celebrated their 2017 season.
• Students in Mrs. Taylor’s Anatomy classes made model skeletons!
• Congrats to Mrs. Wright and Mrs. Macenczak for receiving best practice grants through the Jefferson ESC!!
Mark Your Calendar
November 6 Financial Aid Meeting at 7pm in the high school auditorium
November 10 Veterans Day Assembly at 9am in the high school gymnasium
Harrison East Elementary
• Mrs. Yeager’s kindergarten class received some additional help from willing 3rd grade students.
• This week third grade students completed their Fall Ohio state test in English/Language Arts. Fifth grade students also completed the annual State Gifted assessment. Good job to all the hard working students!
• Ms. Ashley from the Scio branch of the Puskarich Library visited Mrs. McAfee’s 2nd grade class this week. She read to them a book about Yoga and then they all practiced basic yoga poses.
• Miss Bethel’s homeroom class discussed setting and achieving short and long term goals at the beginning of the year. They all set goals for themselves to achieve the first nine weeks.
Congratulations to the following students that achieved their goals: Cameron McAfee, Emmett Wilson, Cheyenne Twaddle, Kylie Richards, TyLynn Smith, Kennedy Skinner, Dakota Wright, Brice Tanner, Braylee Dunfee, Lyla Dalton, Kaylee Pack, Anthony Pelegreen, Adriana Corder, Kira Birney, Austin Fulton, Mykel Quito, Avri Puskarich, Kayden Dunkle, Brady Elliott, and Olivia Tonkovich.
• Mrs. Cochran’s 6th grade Language Arts students welcomed accomplished author, Kristen Willis. Mrs. Willis has authored several children’s books including Honey’s Big Adventure, Honey’s Big Splash, and Honey’s Big Snow Adventure. She is also the mother of 6th grader Katherine Shearer. Mrs. Willis shared with the students about how to become a published author.
• Mr. Bengier’s social studies students learned how to barter this week. The students learned how early European settlers traded goods and services as they settled Ohio.
• Pictured below are Harrison East’s students of the Month. Students are selected on citizenship, academics, attendance, and character. Back row is Nick Fluharty, 6th grade; second row Kendal Hercules,5th grade; Gracie Bardall, 2nd grade;
• Thanks to Mrs. Cassie Johnson, State Farm Agent, for beginning a Teacher of the Month at Harrison East. Mrs. Johnson has the desire to recognize individual teachers for their dedication and hard work shown daily in the classroom. The first teacher to be recognized is first grade teacher, Ty Stinesping. Mrs. Stinespring has been with Harrison Hills for 17 years teaching as a first grade teacher. Mrs. Stinespring has been featured on Mrs. Johnson’s State Farm social media and was awarded a gift card and mug loaded with additional goodies. Pictured below is Mrs. Stinespring and Mrs. Johnson.
Mark Your Calendar
November 13 Veterans Day Program
November 14 November Parent Club Meeting (4:30PM)
November 14 November PTO Meeting (5:30PM)
November 15 No PAWS Afterschool Program
November 20-December 1 No PAWS Afterschool Program
November 21 Last Day of School Prior to Thanksgiving Break
November 21 2nd Nine Weeks Progress Reports Sent Home w/Students
November 22-November 26 Thanksgiving Break
November 27 Classes Resume
December 1 Building Spelling Bee (9AM)
December 13 No PAWS Afterschool Program
December 15 Winter Music Program (1PM)
December 15-January 5 No PAWS Afterschool Program
December 21 Last Day of School Prior to Christmas Break
December 20-January 1 Christmas Break
January 2 Classes Resume
January 5 End of the 2nd Nine Weeks
January 12 2nd Nine Weeks Report Cards Sent Home w/Students
January 15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No Classes
January 15 No Paws Afterschool Program
Harrison North Elementary
Donna Ryder celebrated her 70th birthday!
• Third graders comparing the mass of various school supplies while studying the states and properties of matter.
• Halloween STEM projects! Students created catapults and practiced their “punkin chunkin” with candy pumpkins, spiders, and mini skulls in Mrs. Carpenter’s classroom.
• Students at Harrison North enjoyed dressing up in their favorite costumes on October 31, 2017. Students paraded through the school and on to the Barr Memorial where students were judged by grade level.
The winners were from left to right: 6th grade: Nathan Frye as Willie Wonka, 5th grade: EJ Keener as Redbox, 4th grade: Emma Patterson as a goat, 3rd grade: Charli Whittaker as Raggedy Ann, 2nd grade: Aaden Albaugh as Abraham Lincoln, 1st grade: Lilly Gump as a cat, and Kindergarten: Ryker Burdette as Picachoo.
• Two Mischievous Elves on Shelves appeared at Harrison North for Halloween!
• Friday, October 27th Mark West invited all Harrison Hills Preschool classes to their offices located on Industrial Park Rd in Cadiz. Students enjoyed the spooky decorations, costumes, cookies, juice, and candy!
• Preschool had a fantastic time celebrating Halloween. We decorated cupcakes, walked the spider web, made a mummy, got our face/hand painted, played pumpkin bowling, and ate lots of sweet treats!
• The six grade language arts students worked very diligently on their plot diagramming project in which they had to make a poster displaying the plot elements to the screen play 'The Monsters are Due on Maple Street'.
• Harrison North named October students of the month. Front row from left to right: Shelby Taylor- Kindergarten, Shaylenn Barker- Preschool. Middle Row from left to right: Brody Chrisman- 2nd grader, Lillian Thomas- 1st grade, Charli Whittaker- 3rd grade. Back row from left to right: Emma Patterson- 4th grade, Vanessa Dowdle- 5th grade, Allison Corder- 6th grade.
• Deputy Tony Sedgmer began DARE classes this week in Kindergarten and first grade by introducing himself to the children.
• Harrison North staff meeting was held.
Mark Your Calendar
November 10 Veteran’s Day program @ 10 a.m.
November 14 grades 3-6 Husky Points Reward Field Trip to Wheeling Nailers Hockey Game
November 15 No Preschool classes
November 17 PTA cookie dough sales and money due
November 21 2nd nine weeks progress reports sent home
November 22-24 No School; Thanksgiving
December 14 Winter Music Program (grades K, 2, 4, 6 perform)
December 20 Winter Music Program Make up day if school would be canceled on December 14
December 21-January 1 No School; Christmas Break
January 2 Classes Resume
January 5 2nd nine weeks ends
January 12 2nd nine weeks report cards sent home
January 15 No School; Martin Luther King Jr. Day
© Harrison Hills City School District | 730 Peppard Ave. | Cadiz, OH 43907 | 740.942.7800