New Facility Update
Harrison Hills City Schools New PK-12
• Continue setting door frames as well as plumbing/HVAC/electrical rough-ins as the masonry walls are constructed.
• Planning to begin final underground electrical rough-in at the kitchen as weather permits.
• Building the lower level exterior masonry bearing walls at the administration/middle school wing of the building.
• Erected structural steel columns and roof bar joists over the kitchen, student dining, and main electrical room.
• Began erecting structural steel columns and support beams in the administration/middle school wing.
• The State Support Team met with administrators and a few staff to inform about the Literacy Improvement Plan.
• Mrs. Snider and Kendra Wickham attended IEP review meeting at DePaul School for the Deaf in Pittsburgh. The team worked on a transition plan for the student.
• Officer Sedgmer met with Mrs. Snider detailing plans for a mock incident to be held at the county fairgrounds.
• Fiscal department has attended required training and will be running “Classic” and “Redesign” software parallel for the month of February. As long as there is no bugs and balancing goes well, we will be able to move to the new “Redesign” state software in March.
• Mr. Morgan prepared and distributed all materials and data necessary for discussion at our next District Leadership Team Meeting
• Mr. Morgan collaborated with the B.H.J.V.S.D. on educational service and review meetings
• Mr. Morgan began technical preparations for administration of Ohio’s State Tests
• Mr. Morgan led academic discussion and visionary planning discussion with administration for 2018-2019 and beyond
• Mr. Morgan collaborated with faculty regarding gifted education
• Mr. Morgan distributed materials for Harrison Central High School administration of the A.C.T.
• Mr. Ripley met with representatives from Health Management Solutions, Inc.
• Mr. Ripley met with a representative from Farnham Equipment
• Mr. Eddy and Mr. Ripley had a conference call with a representative from Zonar
• Heating issue fixed at Harrison East Elementary
• Continue monitoring of the roads for delays and cancellations.
Harrison Central Jr/Sr High
• Cheerleaders finished 2nd in 4A at the OVAC Competition! Great job, girls!!
• Senior bowlers are enjoying their season!
• At the staff meeting on Friday, Mrs. Wright shared the details of her Professor of the Week lesson!
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, February 12 – College Credit Plus Night in High School Auditorium @ 6pm
Tuesday, February 13 – Guest Speaker Chris Herren for grades 7-12 sponsored by Juvenile Court
Wednesday, February 14 – Wrestling v. Shadyside & Union Local in Cadiz @ 5:30pm
Friday, February 16 – Parent Teacher Conferences
Harrison East Elementary
• The mobile dentist recently visited Harrison East and was able to help with the dental needs of over 30 students and 3 of those had urgent oral needs addressed. They will return on the 28th of this month to continue serving our students’ needs.
• Mrs. Starr's 6th grade 21st Century Enrichment class completed a project with straw towers. The students had to construct a tower using exactly 50 straws that was as tall as possible and could hold the weight of a tennis ball for 3 seconds. All groups were successful! Then we increased the weight to a baseball and a softball. Only one group had a tower successful at maintaining the weight. Afterwards, they had to analyze their structure and discuss changes in design that would have helped support more weight. The students learned about construction, types of building joints, measurement, and structure analysis.
Kindergarten Snowflake Quilt
• Super 2nd grade readers Katie Cumings and Evie Richards are pictured below after both achieved 125 AR points! Also Lola Smith and Brycen Phillipson are pictured receiving their ribbon after reaching their reading goal of 75 AR points! Good job, super readers!
Mark Your Calendar
02/12 thru 02/19 NO PAWS Afterschool
02/16 Parent- teacher conferences
02/19 President’s Day – no school
02/21 NO PAWS Afterschool
02/28 Mobile Dentist
03/10 Regional Spelling Bee Buckeye North Elementary 11:00 AM
03/16 3rd 9-weeks grading period ends
03/21 NO PAWS Afterschool (Staff meeting)
03/23 3rd 9-weeks Report Cards sent home
03/26 thru 04/06 NO PAWS Afterschool
03/29 Easter Recess begins
04/03 Classes resume
04/18 NO PAWS Afterschool (staff meeting)
04/20 Last scheduled day for PAWS Afterschool program
05/21 Preschool Graduation ceremony 10 AM in gymnasium
05/21 Preschool Open House and registration 1:30-6:30 PM
05/25 Last day of school
Harrison North Elementary
• Second grade students created mugs of hot cocoa during art class with Ms. Vancamp.
• Students celebrated the 100th day of school on Thursday, February 8, 2018.
• Students in Miss Tipton’s 2nd grade class had guest reader Resource Officer Sgt. Frank Valesko on Friday, February 9, 2018. Sgt. Valesko told the students that he had been with the Harrison County Sherriff’s Office for 28 years. He has currently worked in the schools as a resource office the past 3 years. Sgt. Valesko read two books to the students: The Monster in the Bubble and A Day with a Police Officer. He gave them Jr. Deputy Badge stickers before he left.
Mark Your Calendar
February 14 - Valentine’s Day Parties
February 16 - Parent teacher conferences; No School for students
February 19 - No School; President’s Day
February 20 - Books with Badges (grades 1-4)
February 21 - Ohio Department of Health Dental Check Ups (3rd grade)
February 27 & 28 - Mobile Dentist
March 7 - No Preschool Classes
March 8 - Literacy Night 4:30-6:00
March 16 - 3rd nine weeks ends
March 23 - 3rd nine weeks report cards sent home
March 29-April 2 - No School; Easter break
April 3 - Classes resume
© Harrison Hills City School District | 730 Peppard Ave. | Cadiz, OH 43907 | 740.942.7800